Websites & blogs I love



The Modern Quilt Guild

Entries in Finished quilts (6)


Traffic Jam Quilt for Jack

Somehow I did it! After a BUSY week in work, I finished my Traffic Jam Quilt just in time for baby Jack's christening on Sunday.

I was tempted to quilt a different pattern, but when time is tight, as this was, I decided to stick to what I know. I stippled all over, and I have to say I'm getting better. I'm also going to order Free-motion Quilting with Angela Walter and practice some alternative FM techniques. 

Here's the quilt finished. The colours are really fun and bright – I'm so pleased I raided my stash for the orange pinstripe backing and the herringbone binding, although as I was still hand-stitching this down at 11pm on Saturday evening, a plain might have been easier to focus on!

Jack's mummy and daddy loved the quilt and it was a lovely christening. Of course, having created a new WIP and finished it in the space of a week, I still won't have anything for the next show and tell of the LMQG…


They loved it!

Emma and Matthew loved the quilt! It was such a beautiful wedding day, and they were so thrilled with my handiwork – Emma kept thanking the Husband, which made me think of his contribution. He kept me fed and watered while I hunched over my machine and made sure there was petrol in the car for the many trips to fabric shops needed over the last few months… sometimes it's these little things that make for a great team.


A gold medal… in binding

I've done it! The Wedding Quilt is sitting in a posh bag, all ready for Emma and Matthew's wedding today. Having taken the day off yesterday to a) get my hair done all glam and b) bind the quilt, I can say by 4pm I was DONE! Phew (the Olympics provided the TV entertainment - go Team GB!).

I'm glad I decided to sash with white, as it's made the fab colours of Kate Spain's Good fortune fabrics really pop. I stippled all over, and after one disasterous night of sewing machine hate (mainly due to a massive ball of fluff that had been builidng up under the bobin for quite some time now!), my stitches improved, and I think the quilting is fine.

The binding is a sky-blue from Moda with Kate Spain's Tranquil Butterfly in orange/blue for the backing, although in spite of finding some at New Threads and The Cotton Patch I had to do a strip of the leftover layer cake squares and one area made up of the trimmings used from cutting the original layer cake pieces to 9inch squares.

I made a label using a fine-point Sharpie pen and Bondaweb, having stitched a label patch into the back as as I made up the backing shortfall! I think it looks cute with the butterflies. 

Anyway, off to put on my posh frock and head to The Cotswolds - here's to a great wedding day!


One happy baby quilt

It's finished and given to my friend, who's second baby is due any day now…

After much deliberation, I bound it with a strong teal Moda Solids colour, picking out the shade from the yellow floral triangles. The half square triangles are randomly arranged, but every so often I allowed two of the same fabric to meet, forming a longer hit of the pattern.

As you can see, my stippling FM quilting is getting better (just as well as the Wedding Quilt will really push me – talking of which, I've finished the top!)

I've been toying with how to label my quilts for some time, ever since I missed out on the London MQG trip to Lu Summer's studio where they screen-printed their own lables (me green? not much!). So as a stop gap, until I design something I am happy with, I found these cutsey labels on a recent trip to Dorking. Iron-on - easy peasy.

As mentioned in a previous post, the backing was donated by the recipent of this quilt (an old duvet cover), and she loved that I'd 'upcycled' it to use for her baby's quilt. And so, on to the next (friends over the road have just had their first baby, and having been to 'baby workship' today, sans gift, I really must get cracking!).


Modern mini finished (just in time)

I've finished my mini quilt for tomorrow's LMQG meeting – I think I'm pleased, as it mixes trad patchwork with a modern twist, which was my plan.

I'm loving the grey solid background, which lets the fab retro patterns of the hexies really pop…

I hope I get away with the fact that it's slightly bigger than the 12inch square we were supposed to produce (mine's about 13inches), but after free-motion quiliting it, I couldn't bear to trim too much away.

It's only the second project that I've quilted in this way, and my stitches did get better once I was into my swing (I've also finally worked out how to set my stitch length to zero, having had to make do with 0.2 the first time I tried to FM quilt).


To define the hexies further, I hand-quilted them, using a single thread of a coral/pink DMC thread.

I went for a yellow solid for the binding, adding in hanging corners (just in case my little 'Hexies, but not as we know them mini' makes it into the John Lewis set to go on display in July). Will keep you posted after tomorrow's meeting…